Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't see your question about Chicago in Shape in the list below, send me a message! I'll be happy to help.
What neighborhoods do you serve?
Chicago in Shape has moved! The studio is conveniently located in the Logan Square/Humboldt Park neighborhood between North Avenue and The 606 (Bloomingdale Trail) - close to the 72, 73, and 82 CTA bus lines. There is plenty of free street parking (and garage parking upon request). It's super-easy to get to Chicago in Shape if you live or work in the following neighborhoods:
- And others!
What if I have a medical condition or am really out of shape?
Jim has extensive experience working with over-50 and senior clients, people who have not been very active recently (or ever), and those who have medical conditions or are recovering from illness or injury. He knows how to help clients progress gradually and safely while achieving their goals to feel better and become stronger. He is always pleased to work in collaboration with a client's doctor or physical therapist if appropriate.
What hours can I train?
Sessions are by appointment only and are scheduled during the following hours:
Monday through Friday: 6 am - 6 pm
Saturday: 8 am - 12 pm
Who is a typical Chicago in Shape client?
Jim has extensive experience working with clients of all ages and fitness levels, from complete beginner to conditioned athlete. He's trained clients in every decade of life from teens to nineties. Some clients come in with specific goals, like getting in shape for a wedding, travel, or sports (tennis, biking, etc.). Many clients know it's easier to stick with a fitness program when you have an exercise coach you'll be seeing every week. Some clients are referred by a doctor, while others come on their own, just wanting to be more active, fit, and toned. In short, Jim enjoys working with all his clients!
What types of training do you provide?
- Strength training
- Weight loss / weight management
- TRX suspension training
- Wellness coaching
- Flexibility training / stretching
- Balance training
- Leisure activity or sports-specific training
- Short-term programs for specific situations such as a wedding, adventure or activity-based travel, post-partum recovery, etc.
- Stress management and relaxation
- Recovery from illness or injury
- Functional fitness (helps you perform tasks you need to do in your daily life without strain or injury, e.g., carrying groceries, picking up a child, even rising from a chair)
How much does it cost?
Read all about fees for single sessions and money-saving packages here. And remember that the benefits of ongoing, customized exercise coaching are considerable. Invest in your health!
What about workout music?
Chicago in Shape has access to a wide variety of musical genres to pump up your workout, and you are welcome to bring your own playlist - or work out in silence if you prefer. It's all about providing you with a fun, motivating, and personalized training session!
What measures are you taking in light of COVID-19?
- Only one client is ever seen at a time and space between sessions has been increased to permit enhanced cleaning of equipment between clients. Please arrive at your scheduled time to allow for properly-spaced sessions.
Every client must bring and wear a mask while at Chicago in Shape.
Physical distancing will be maintained during workouts to the greatest extent possible.
Hand sanitizer will be provided and must be used before and after the workout.